Thursday, May 10, 2018

Talking About Lipsha (or Lip$ha, I don't mind.)

I've made it no secret that I'm a big fan of Kesha. Matter of fact, Kesha is my favorite musician. (This doesn't necessarily mean the best. Gotye is the best, but I like Kesha better overall.) Last summer, August 11th, Kesha released a third album, titled Rainbow. This had been first new original Kesha music released since Warrior was released November 2012. (And no, the version of Crazy Kids with will.i.am's "Kissing while we talking, so I'm speaking with a mumble. eiualnwpgeaumble" doesn't count, nor do True Colors or Timber.) It had been 4 years, 8 months, and 12 days without a new album. But that wasn't always the case. In 2013, Kesha and The Flaming Lips were supposed to release a collab album called "Lip$ha", or as I like to call it, Lipsha.



Why was it cancelled? I don't know; ask Dr. Luke, and not the one from the New Testament of the Bible. But that's not what we're here to talk about. If you want to hear about the behind the scenes of that, watch Spectrum Pulse.



I'm here to talk about what's on it. Or, at least, what we know is on it.

2 songs have been leaked, to my knowledge- You Control My Heart, and Elizabeth My Dear.

Elizabeth My Dear is a relatively simple song, so we'll talk about it first. It only has 4 bars in total, so it's easy to memorize. It's really interesting. It's about assassinating Queen Elizabeth and taking down the British monarchy, but it's super chill and slow. I like the lyrics to it as well. It sounds like nothing I've ever heard before. The ending takes up about half the song or more, and I think that's really neat.

"My aim is true, my message is clear.
It's curtains for you, Elizabeth, my dear."




The next song is called You Control My Heart. This song is similar to the last one- very somber, very slow, but not boring or uninteresting. It's a bit repetitive, but it still holds my attention through the whole 3-minute runtime. This song actually has 3 verses- well, sort of. Verse 1 and 2 are identical, from what I can tell. But verse 3 really changes things up with a death threat. Hooray. This song is pretty good, but not as good as Elizabeth My Dear.

"And I will kill you in the night while you're sleeping
While you're sleeping
While you're sleeping
I will kill you in the night while you're sleeping"



So where do these 2 songs stand on my ordinal scale of Kesha songs? Well, I'll show you. Elizabeth My Dear comes in below Spaceship, but above Don't Think Twice, It's Alright. You control my heart comes in below Blow Deconstructed, but above the unreleased Who Do You Love?. They are respectively the 16th and 36th songs from the top, with the top being the best. Not bad if you ask me.

Sony please give us the full album thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment