Tuesday, March 5, 2024

High Fidelity Movie Review

I watched this movie with the bros because I thought it was going to be a funny haha movie about music nerds. Boy, was I wrong.

This movie is, in my mind, a contrast to Mud. Mud teaches that sometimes you can do everything right, and love still falls apart. High Fidelity teaches that sometimes you can do everything wrong and still end up with someone who loves you.

This movie means a lot to me for 2 reasons. First, Rob Gordon is a despicable person. He's self-centered and dumb. He is drawn to people solely by desires of the flesh. He treats people like garbage. Second, Rob Gordon is like me. He's self-centered and dumb. He is drawn to people solely by desires of the flesh. He treats people like garbage. And he lives on his wider-than-average knowledge of music history.

It makes me happy to see Laura come back. The bros and I were conflicted over it though; did Rob truly grow? After all he had done, is there ever a good reason for Laura to go back to him? Did he take advantage of her dire emotional situation? Do I deserve happiness after the way I've treated people in my past? 

I think that, whether or not he deserves it is besides the point. He has her and he is working to be better. That's the real point. Laura may be naive, but she is the best person in the movie. Forgiveness is a beautiful thing. 

8/10. I'm gonna go cry now.

No comments:

Post a Comment