Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Twitter's Broken Account Recovery System

I'm not going to be advertising this post on my Twitter account, @Icystorm9, for one reason: I have been locked out of that account.

On Wednesday, June 14th, I sent a picture of a hedgehog to fellow user @Official_Leda before I headed to town for the day. So I went to town, got some food, and went to the library, which is where I was going to be hanging out that day. When I got there, I logged into the public WiFi so I could read my Twitter timeline. When I tried to open the app, though, I got a big old popup saying that my account had been locked.

No big deal, I'll just prove that it's me by stating my birthdate and some other information that others cannot see. Oh, that's not how I can unlock my account. I have to change my password using either my contact email or my phone number.



Now my phone number was not an option, since I got a new one just a few days prior and I forgot to update it. And the email address wasn't an option, since I forgot the password and the mail.com support team is also the least helpful it could possibly be. I actually tried to change my Twitter account's contact email, but Twitter has this stupid rule that only one account can be assigned to any email address at a time. That's an issue; I have another account assigned to that email (@CPSecretsofCP, my most popular blog's notification account). So I didn't want to bother changing the emails of 50 different accounts. Since I didn't want to, I didn't.

But I could have fixed this if I wanted to. Most of that was my fault, except for Twitter's one account per email rule. That should be fixed. But even that can be forgiven; neither Twitter nor I expect any normal person to have more than one Twitter account, so this shouldn't be too big of a deal.

But do you know what cannot be forgiven? Their support system. They don't have an email address that you could easily contact and have your issue solved relatively simply. You have to file a stupid ticket. Pick a category and describe your issue.
Look at this trash. You can't even talk to support until you pick a category. What happens if your issue doesn't fit into one of these categories? Well, I guess you're out of luck.

So alright, I don't like this method, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes, right? Okay. So I'm filling out this stupid ticket, which looks a bit like this.
So I fill out this form. The first question, "Where are you experiencing this issue?", is very vague. The question itself isn't, but the answers are. TweetDeck is not an option. It doesn't ask what type of device. I can't pick "Twitter App for Motorola Moto-G XT1028." I have to pick "Twitter for Android," because I definitely have the latest version of the app. I try not to do that. 

So anyway, I pick Twitter for Android, and now there's a box where I have to describe why I should get my account back, as if I should have to explain why I should have access to my account and I totally didn't click "don't have access to either of these" less than a minute ago. Then I type in my name, my main email (icystorm9here@gmail.com, yall should email me some time), and my new phone number. I'm human, so I click the checkbox. Then I click send. All good. I should get my account back in a matter of hours.

But that's not what happens. I wait. I wait. I wait some more. I wait over 48 hours for Twitter Support to send me an email with how to reset my password. After 2 entire days and then some, I'm tired of this. I send another appeal, making it more clear that I can't access my old phone number or icystorm9here@doglover.com, even going so far as to explain in detail why that is not an option. I then fill out the form again, making sure that everything is exact and nothing can be misread or misunderstood. I click send. I wait another 2 days. Nothing. Well how about another day after that? Still nothing. How about one more day? Nothing. Whatever, I'll just wait a few more hours. My account was locked on Wednesday, June 14th, at approximately 11:30 AM. I sent my first appeal in that same day at 12:13 PM. It is now Tuesday, June 20th, at 9:37 PM. I have yet to get a reply back from support. I am filling out yet another appeal. This is what the "Description of Problem" box reads.

"My account has been locked for 6 days now. Over 150 hours. A little over 9154 minutes. I cannot change my password because I changed my phone number and forgot to edit my settings. I lost access to that email a while ago, but I didn't bother because of your awful rule that only one account can use a certain email address at a time. So now I'm locked out and I have no way to change my password. I've filed 3 appeals so far and I haven't gotten a reply from a single one of them. I can prove that I'm me; the link in that bio (bit.ly/IcystormsIgloo) is a blog that I own. I can post about how I was locked out of my account. Remember, this is my personal blog and only I have access to it. I am writing a post at this very moment about how and why I cannot log into my account via the methods given to me. Go read it. Please. I'm tired of your unhelpful support tickets and ignoring of my appeals."

So I guess I'll see what happens next. I may have to call their support phone number in a few days, but the wait is supposedly 18 minutes, and that takes up a good amount of PagePlus credit. Just please, Twitter, give me access to my account again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment